Thursday, July 3, 2008

Flat

It was 6:45 pm last night. Heidie and I were headed out for a great training ride. We decided to head down the highway to Smithfield. We were making great time. We thought that we would easily hit 50 miles before the sun set. As we entered Smithfield I blew a tire. I thought no big deal, I can change a flat. In the next few minutes I broke my tire tool, had the wrong co2 cartridge, gave my tube mouth to mouth & got grease on my new jersey. All the while this old man and his family sat on their porch watching us struggle with what should be a pretty easy fix. Heidie asked what she could do to help, I told her to stand right there on the side of the road looking really cute so that some man (preferably a prepared cyclist) might stop to help. No such luck! It didn't take too long for us to start calling around, and we found Mike and Chris home in Smithfield and they brought down their bike pump. I put my wheel back on the bike. Looked it over and found that the rock I hit had slit my not only my tube but the tire as well. Obviously we did not make 50 miles but we were able to at least ride 26.4 miles before we had to call Shane to get us because of the dark. So as you can probably guess I am heading to the bike shop today!

I am posting this video of Jace. It was my trial run with the video option on my camera!

No comments:

Fav Recipes

White Texas Sheet Cake (from PD mag)

2 Cups Flour
2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 C. butter
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp. almond extract
1 Cup of water

In a saucepan combine butter and water;bring to a boil stirring occasionally. In a seperate large bowl combine the flour,sugar,salt and baking powder.
After the butter/water comes to a boil add to flour mixture stirring to combine it. Stir in the sour cream, eggs and the almond extract. Pour into greased cookie sheet and bake @350 for 22-25 min. Frost cake while still warm with Butter Frosting (see below)

Butter Frosting

1/2 C. butter
1/4 C. milk 1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 Cups powdered sugar
Bring the butter and milk to a boil stirring occasionally. Remove from heat whisk in the almond extract and then gradually whisk in the powdered sugar.